Tuesday 13 December 2005

Oh Phew!

Well, that's done at last.

Christmas presents for the nephews is always a chore and a delight. Every year off I go to Hamley's and enjoy myself immensely spending hours wandering round, picking up and putting down toys and games and general funstuff and then gather together the best of the batch and lug it home in an (invariably) large bag. Then wrap everything individually, place the gifts in a large box that is then wrapped up, lugged back into town and posted. It takes an age and costs a fortune and I love it.

Unfortunately, they're a bit old for my random shopping these days so, for the first time, I'm sending them vouchers... what a failure I am! They've both got a book (one about pirates and the other is a compendium of useless information - quite amusing!) so there's something to unwrap on the big day, but they can pick their own pressies this year. Sigh. I told both of them when they were born that they would always get a book from me and I've stuck to it so far.

And, of course, the parents (me big bro and sis-in-law) get what every self-respecting over-40 year old should have - the S L A D E DVD! I make no apologies for dispensing cultural history to everyone I know! I've suggested that they look at the live set first, just to get them in the mood. Younger bro and sis-in-law will get the same blessing for Christmas (they'll probably get alcohol as well).

And, just to make sure there's a photo in this posting, here's me with the wonderful Santa popcorn bucket I got from Radio City Music Hall when we went to see the Christmas spectacular a few weeks ago in New York. I brought it home very carefully and he's currently sitting under the tree. His hat comes off to give access to the popcorn (not that there's any in there any more - I might fill him up with Maltesers for Christmas ...).

'Keep on rockin'!' as the Lords of Noize would say!

No comments: