Tuesday 20 November 2018

Yayoi Kusama at Victoria Miro

Last week I was lucky enough to get to the new exhibition by Yayoi Kusama at Victoria Miro with the snappy title of , 'The Moving Moment When I Went to the Universe'. The works all seem to be relatively recent with some created specifically for this exhibition. It's a very popular exhibition and that led to a small queue outside before being allowed inside in small groups to visit the first exhibit. Climb the old warehouse stairs to join the queue to walk inside the 'Infinity Mirrored Room - My Heart is Dancing Into the Universe'. I danced too.

I loved that room, total blackout apart from the disco lights and mirrors everywhere to disorient the viewer as we walk through the room in pitch black and primary colours. It was a great experience to walk through that room and it was over too quickly. If you're going, then linger to drink it all in, the sheer madness and delight of the place. It's great to go inside the art and be part of it - it's a different piece of art when I'm in it than when someone else is in it.


Then downstairs to see the giant, colourful bronze pumpkins and the paintings based on them. A couple of the paintings seemed to be dizzy-inducing with the complex circles and dots creating mesmerising patterns in bold colours. Then head out to the garden and 'Flowers That Speak All About My Heart Given To The Sky' on the decking outside. I loved the mad triffid flowers that I can quite imaging crawling along the ground after me, either wanting me to feed them or to eat me up. I'm not sure which.

This is where my only criticism of the place seeps in. After seeing the flowers some people turned round to leave because there was no signage to say there was any more of the exhibition. Luckily, I'm bolshy so I walked over to the door furthest away to see what was over there and was welcomed and told to take the lift to the top floor. Which I did. And was greeted by some of the biggest and most colourful paintings I've seen in a long time.



There were twenty-odd big canvases hung around the gallery of 'My Eternal Soul Paintings' with 20 of them hung together on one long wall creating a huge splash of colour and shapes. All the same size, the canvases are painted in the most colourful array of acrylic paints imaginable. I need to find out where she gets her paints from.

There are photocopied guides to the paintings with their individual names on so you can identify your favourites but I suggest you look at the paintings first and make your own mind up about what they're about before you read the titles. I loved these paintings and would happily have one on my wall - I could only fit one on my wall comfortably, sadly.

To find out more about the works pick up a copy of the small leaflet from the shop/office - I only noticed it as I was leaving. It's a ticketed exhibition and the tickets are free - check the Victoria Miro website for availability.

This was my first experience of Yayoi Kusama and I'm so pleased to have found her at last. This is an exhibition to set your spirit free and your heart soaring, just give in and let the joy in. I'm looking forward to seeing more of her works now.


No comments: