Tuesday 9 November 2010

Poems On The Underground - 'First Contact'

I blogged a couple of weeks ago about a poem in the 'Poems On The Underground' series that I saw on the Tube ('Whalesong') that made me sit up and take notice, and I saw another one today, 'First Contact' by Hattie Grunewald. Hattie is another youngster penning interesting work.

The poem is self-explanatory really, but I like the hope that sits behind it, the aspirations and, ultimately, the let down. It reminded me of getting my first contact lenses and that the first thing I did once I started wearing them was to go out and buy a pair of sunglasses. Take a read and see what you think:

Well done, Hattie! She's 18 and is on Twitter as @madhattie so if you like the poem you should follow her. I am.

1 comment:

JG88 said...

Saw this just this weekend as I was down visiting friends in London - think it's fantastic. As both a contact lens wearer and a student Optometrist, I think it sums up that moment where you finally don't need to wear spectacles. Well done Hattie - this is excellent.