Thursday 3 April 2008

Central Park

I like Central Park, a big rectangle of greenery in the middle of Manhattan, and we went there yesterday afternoon to see what it's like in spring. I sort of expected loads of daffodils and other spring flowers and was a bit surprised at how empty it was, a few batches of daffs, some late crocuses and that was about it. Endless muddy stretches of grass, leafless trees and, at least yesterday, dreary grey skies with damp in the air, or maybe it was just reflecting my mood. Spring is more advanced here in London.


The inevitable ice-rink photo, with only a few people skating.


Bethesda Fountain, with the angel on top. My favourite photo of the fountain is from winter with snow all over, the lake behind frozen and covered in snow and people building snowmen in the fountain.


The tunnel under the road leading to the Bethesda Fountain which is slowly being restored (I think it's been in restoration every time I've been). The tiles on the roof and walls look to be in really good condition so the restoration is working.


I don't know what the building is in the background but the lake was very still and the greens of the willows looked nice in the reflection, so this is just a miscellaneous photo.


Belvedere Castle, an old folly that's an observation tower. It's a rather strange place, wandering round and then suddenly sighting this on the top of a hill near the open air theatre. I'm sure it was closed the last time I was here but now you can climb up to the top turrets and get a great view of the park.

Ending with a trip to Strawberry Fields on the west side, the John Lennon memorial garden, and the Imagine mosaic, haunt of tour groups clustering round it so I had to take a quick snap when it was mostly free.

No comments: