Wednesday 5 October 2011

The Indigo Girls - 'Beauty Queen Sister'

Yes, the Girls have done it again. What's that, you ask? Release a record without really telling anyone about it. I'm sure they think they've covered their fan base but it's passed me by. 'Beauty Queen Sister' is available to download from iTunes now (plus one bonus track) and will be available from Amazon next Monday. I've downloaded it.

I first came across The Indigo Girls with their first record and the single, 'Closer To Fine'. I have fond memories of walking across Clapham Common listening to the song being played on breakfast radio in 1989. It's worthy and wordy but it works. Then I bought the album. And most albums since then. I've only seen the Girls once, four years ago, at Shepherd's Bush. I'd love to see them again, particularly promoting this latest album.

Their last album was the Christmas record, 'Happy Holly Days' and before that, 'Poseidon'. This latest record makes me think more of the previous album, 'Despite Our Differences', and this develops the sound and songs on that album. The overwhelming feeling of the songs is of calm. This is a carefully measured record with very thoughtful, gentle songs.

I'll choose a few early favourites in 'Share The Moon', 'John', 'War Rugs', 'Feed And Water The Horses' 'Damo' and 'Able To Sing'.  No doubt that list will change as I listen to the record again.  Amy and Emily swapping lead vocals and song-writing duties as ever makes for an interesting mix. 

The production is sparse with the focus on the song, the words and the music, with no stray effects audible. I like it. It's not a record I'd listen to on the tube going to work, but I'd definitely listen to it at night when I get home and need to relax. This record will do it, relax the body but stimulate the mind. Go on, give it a go.


No comments: