Wednesday 11 May 2011

Poly Styrene: "Let's make the world a better place"

Tomorrow is the funeral of Marianne Elliot Said, better known and loved as Poly Styrene, the punkstress who brightened our lives by bringing us her day-glo and her challenge. It's strange to see the outpouring of love and respect for Poly from all over the world that's taken place since her death was announced two weeks ago. Strange since she was so quiet for so many years, but gratifying to witness the love.

I've tried to read most of the articles that have been published in the press and online. Some are analyses of Poly's impact on music, culture and gender politics and others are the simple and beautiful memories of fans like me. I've disagreed with some of what I've read and other times I've loved and shed a tear or two. But the important thing is that people, great and small, noticed and noted Poly's passing. She left her mark in this material world of ours, and on people like me and quite possibly you, and, through her work, she lives on. And in this Plastic Bag, will always live on.

As well as the millions of words that have been written and tweeted around the world, Poly's moving on to a higher plane has left a positive legacy for me. Through talking to people about her I've met some lovely people online that I hope will become friends through Poly. Another legacy are all the photos of Poly that have appeared online. When I set up the Last.FM page a few years ago for Mari Elliott (the name Poly used for her first single) I couldn't find any photos of the young Poly so used an X-Ray Spex photo, and now there are some lovely photos of her.

Back in 2006 I made an appointment with the National Portrait Gallery to see the portrait of Poly taken by Pennie Smith. It's not on display for copyright reasons, but is in the archives and is available to see if you book an appointment in advance. As soon as I saw it - it's the one with her standing in front of a Polyfilla poster - I remembered it from the NME in about 1978, with Poly dressed like her mam with a coy smile. It has subsequently leaked onto the internet.

Here are some of my favourite new photos of Poly that I've gathered from the web - if I'm breaking any copyright restrictions, sorry...


Fans on the Poly Styrene mailing list received a surprise gift today - a drawing by Poly. It's delightful in it's childlike innocence and naivety and bears the legend 'Generation Indigo ... Let's make the world a better place' and she signed it. It's the least we can do to follow Poly's wish.

So, tomorrow, smile at a stranger on your way to work, say 'hello' to someone, put 10p in a charity box, direct a tourist to where they want to go, but do something to make the world a better place. Do it for Poly. And at 3:00pm UK time send some love to Poly, chant or play one of her songs. Say farewell to Poly in your own way. I will.

Namaste Poly!

No comments: