Sunday 7 November 2010

SLADE Reunion

I've kept this a secret for far longer than I thought I'd be able to, but I must spill the beans before I burst - SLADE are getting back together next year! O yes they are, Sir Noddy Holder, Jim Lea, Dave Hill and Don Powell will stride across the stage again in 2011. I've decided it will be so and so it will be. I have faith.

SLADE's first hit was 'Get Down And Get With It' in June 1971 and their first Number 1 was 'Coz I Luv You' in October 1971 so, to celebrate their 40th anniversary, I predict a SLADE reunion in the second half of 2011. And I will, of course, be in the second row of the audience for the reunion gig.

Now, SLADE don't actually know it yet, but I've been planning their setlist and stage show. Much as I'm tempted for it to be old school with just the lads on stage giving it some heavy rock guitar and drums, I think I need to update the set with more modern lights and stuff. The banks of amps will still be at either side of the stage for Jim and Dave to climb up onto, but they will be glitter-encrusted and have a bank of lights focused on them to generate the right effects. Sir Noddy will, of course, use his mirrored top hat to manage the light show.

The show will be in two halves and the first half will include the current line-up of SLADE as well as Sir Nod and Jim. They've kept the band alive all these years and deserve some credit so will have a role to play in the reunion gig. Then it'll just be original SLADE in all their glory playing the big songs of yesteryear but including some of the 'B' sides they never did live back in the day. I'm so looking forward to hearing 'Take Me Bak 'Ome' and 'Mama Weer All Crazy Now' again.

And, of course, it will recorded for a live CD and a DVD that will be out in time for Christmas 2011 (so guess what will be in my letter to Santa?). It'll probably be broadcast on BBC2 at some point over Christmas (I haven't negotiated that bit yet) and be followed by a rare screening of 'SLADE in Flame' and a 'SLADE at the BBC' programme. Clearly my work schedule is going to be pretty busy if I'm going to have all this ready for next year. Still, it's got to be done.

Of course, work has already begun to get the spotlight onto the Lords of Noize with a Facebook campaign to get SLADE to the Christmas Number 1 again rather than an X-Factor dirge. You can show your support by clicking here and doing the right thing by joining the group.

Right. I'd better get back to my planning and wait for the phone to ring with the commission from SLADE's management.

No comments: