Thursday 1 October 2009

'Broken Embraces' by Almodovar

Phew, yes, I'm back online and just in time to tell you about my latest outing to see Pedro Almodovar's most recent cinematic masterpiece, 'Broken Embraces'. Chris is a fan of Mr Almodovar and introduced me to him several years ago with 'All About My Mother' and his are some of the few foreign language films I go to - I have a thing about having to 'read' films, y'see.

'Broken Embraces' is typical Almodovar story-telling, complex with lots of twists and turns, a film within a film, flashing backwards and forwards, keeping you engrossed and following the shifting narrative. The world seems so much more interesting in an Almodovar script. It was also nice to see the ensemble he's collected for this film, some of whom I am familiar with.

Penelope Cruz was looking most lovely and turned in a stellar performance as did her leading man, Lluis Homar, who I've seen in a couple of films and who always seems to get a shagging role. I'd also single out Blanca Portillo for praise, once again playing one of those you-know-there's-more-to-her-story-than-she's-letting-on roles that she's good at and, once again, turns up trumps at the end of the film. All of the cast were good and I'd recommend seeing it on the big screen while you still can.

I suspect this is another film that will reward repeated viewings so I'll add it to my DVD list.

No comments: