Thursday 6 March 2008

Do I Look Stupid?

Well, do I? Or do I write stupid? I made a complaint to Barclays Bank on 9 February and I've just received a response today. Great customer care. Basically, my debit card expired on me before I had a replacement and I only found out when it was refused in a shop (it had, in theory, not yet expired by the date on the card). When I rang up to find out what the problem was I was told that a new card had been issued in January and that my current one automatically expires after 28 days, irrespective of whether I've received the new one apparently.I suggested cards should expire when there's activity on the new card.

The reply today tells me that the delivery agent tried to deliver it and then wrote to me. Um, did they? News to me. SMS delivery have done this to me before, saying they've tried to deliver stuff when I'm at work and not leaving a card or anything so it's then me that has to run around trying to get something delivered. So irritating.

I'm just not sure I can be bothered pursuing this. What will I get from it? Barclays clearly don't care, it's just crap service from a large multinational so why should it bother? Gggrrrrr...

I've just sent the following message through the offending bank's website - yes, I *am* angry!

Your Ref: XXXXX

I received your letter today and didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Your letter didn't address all my comments which is rather disappointing. Lots of expressions of sincere apologies and passing my comments to your management team instantly make me not believe any of it. Is it worth using your complaints process to then wait 4 weeks for a response that simply fobs you off? I've been with Barclays for nearly 30 years and this is the first time I've complained about anything and I get a fob-off letter? That's designed to make me angry rather than anything else.

If SMS tried to deliver the card they why didn't they leave a card asking me to contact them? If SMS wrote to me then why didn't I receive a letter? My card was delivered only after I'd spoken to someone in your call centre who helpfully gave me their number so I could arrange delivery myself.

I am, quite frankly, appalled that anyone could think your letter was even vaguely acceptable. My initial response was to think you were calling me stupid. A second reading made me think you didn't mean that simply because you didn't mean anything by sending me a letter so long after I contacted you. You don't care. What else can I assume? You've happily taken my money for nearly 30 years but you can't even provide a decent explanation that addresses my points and gives me a believable apology.

Please send me details of your formal complaints procedure and any form I have to fill in. I will also write separately to the Ombudsman.

Thank you.

1 comment:

chrisv said...

Oooo you said the O word... they *hate* it when you say Ombudsman