Friday 5 October 2007

Navel Gazing

Who are you? Yes, you, dearest reader.

You might have noticed a little widget I added to this page a while ago, Sitemeter, that counts how many of you look at the page. It tells me that my readership - you lot - peaked in September. But why?

If you go into it in a bit more detail, it tells me the number of visitors by day and, in September, that peaked round about 17-18 September, with double the normal traffic on 18 September. How odd. What could that be about?

Then I look at page entries and see the volume of people who seemed to go straight for my review of the Marc Bolan Celebration that was published on 16 September. Ah. It becomes clear. That was a 'big' event and people wanted to know about it so probably ended up doing wide searches to find out what happened. It's not just Marc that people are interested in though, a lot of people seemed to find my review by coming through a Shakin' Stevens chat site. I like the idea of Shakey fans hunting down information on their hero.

So, the trick for a popular blog is to get lots of searchable items/terms/names into it so that it'll show up on Internet searches. It all sounds like hard work to me so I'll just stick with what I'm doing now, thank you very much.

Have a nice day whoever you are and wherever you're sitting right now.

No comments: