Monday 6 February 2006

SLADE ALIVE!

The new SLADE DVD was released today so I dutifully trotted up to HMV on Oxford Street to pay homage and had an awful shock - the Ordinary Boys (or whatever Preston off CBB's band is called) were playing live... aaarrggghhhhh! Really spoilt the vibe, man. They only did 1 song when I arrived and it instantly made me think it sounded like The Beat from yesteryear.

Fighting my way through the throng of young girls and boys with odd haircuts, I descended on the DVD rack and scooped up my prize! Mine all mine!!!! A new SLADE DVD - cor!

It's titled, 'The World's Greatest Albums - The Ultimate Critical Review' and, of course, it's not authorised and the band aren't on it. It's a bit odd that it doesn't have the album cover as the DVD cover but that's probably why. I hope they're at least getting a goodly share of the royalties.

Basically, it's a load of middle aged men talking about the album (introduced by "Krusher"), all feigning knowledgability and speculating on why the singles weren't on the album, etc - you know the score. But I don't care. One of them even talks about seeing SLADE at Newcastle City Hall in 1973 - that was the scene and year of my baptism of glitter at a SLADE gig! There's some great black n white footage of the band from around 1972-73 that I haven't seen before, so that's fab. And lots of still photos. The quality isn't the best but it's an addition to the collection and gives me some stuff I haven't seen before. I still want more, of course!

2 comments:

chrisv said...

How awful to suffer the horror of the Preston.

redhairedqueer said...

I used to go to lots of rock gigs with a straight man who inisted on saying "hello" to Krusher whenever we saw him, though he didn't know him AT ALL. It was very embarrassing.

There's no purpose to this post.

Just sayin'.