Monday 12 September 2011

Laura Marling - 'A Creature I Don't Know'

Today sees the release of Laura Marling's third album and she is still only 21 years old. I first heard of Laura on Jools Holland's 'Later' in, I think, late 2007 that made me watch out for her first album in 2008. I saw her sing live with The Mystery Jets in 2008 but haven't seen her play live since - I've always been in the wrong place to see her.

Words and melody are central to Laura's songs and sound, with lyrical flights of fancy taking off when you least expect it and that's a central characteristic of this new record. It's an album that will, I have no doubt, grow with successive plays. After an initial listen, I'd vote for 'The Beast', 'Sophia' and 'All My Rage' as favourite songs. No doubt that'll change after a day or two as I love different songs.

Do yourself a favour and give it a listen.

No comments: