Friday 7 April 2006

Retro Record Bag - 1973

My set tonight consisted of songs from 1973:

David Bowie ~ 'Panic in Detroit'
Jackson 5 ~ 'Doctor My Eyes'
Mott The Hoople ~ 'All The Way From Memphis'
Free ~ 'Wishing Well'
Sweet ~ 'Ballroom Blitz'

Free was a last minute switch from Stealers Wheel - I felt the set needed a lift at that point and the pounding bass of 'Wishing Well' works for me. Starting off with the pounding drumming and wailing vocals of 'Panic in Detroit' and closing with 'Ballroom Blitz', one of the best records of all time and in my personal top ten alongside 'Anarchy in the UK' - who could lose?

I was quite nervous in a kind of silly way - what's there really to be nervous about? But I was. Even when Rob showed me the controls and which buttons to press I still had to double and triple check the track number ... just in case. Afterwards, of course, it was a piece of cake. Hindsight is wonderful.

Luckily I followed a none-too exciting set so my short, sharp, loud selection seemed to go down well. Followed by Don's mariarchi tribute to the trip to Mexico in a week's time and Christopher's wrapper-ish selection. Gerald played an interesting selection but unfortunately Dawn and Stephen chickened out (I was sort-of looking forward to listening to some Cure again!).

My set was, of course, the best and received the best applause (modesty? what's that?). I need to resign my job and become an international superstar DJ. How difficult can it be?

Now, I just need to spend another month or so working on my 5-track 1974 set list ...

No comments: